Jambolan is an ancient fruit native to Southern Asia, and according to ancient Hindu scriptures, was the sole source of food that Lord Rama lived off of during his 14 years of exile! Mind-boggling, right? But what’s even more mind-boggling is the fact that Jambolan is proven to help regulate blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. The key ingredient that is responsible for regulating this is called the jamboline, which inhibits excessive rises in the glucose level. Below you can find a recipe for a delicious smoothie, especially made for diabetics. This way you can have a treat for yourself that is good tasting and also good for you!
- 3/4 cup de-seeded and finely chopped black jambolan
- 2 cups low-fat plain frozen yogurt
- 4 tbsp crushed ice
- (Optional) 1 tsp sugar substitute
- Combine all the ingredients, and blend in a mixer till thick and creamy.
- Pour the smoothie into 4 individual small glasses.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional Info (per glass):
Calories: 58 kcal
Fat: 0.2 grams
Carbs: 10.3 grams
Protein: 3.8 grams